Clicky

Introducing Automatic WordPress Backup

by Melvin Ram on December 21, 2009

Today we’ve released the world’s best backup system available for WordPress websites and it’s ready to download & use without cost.

Why Backup WordPress?

It’s the smart & safe thing to do. There are a number of different reasons why you could lose all your WordPress data:

• Internet worm/virus attacks your website.
  • Server crashes.
  • Faulty plugin wipes out entire database or all files.
  • You accidentally delete all your files or maybe just one really important one.
  • You’re upgrading to newer version of WordPress and something goes wrong.

With all these dangers hanging just around the corner, why risk having all your hard work & time go to waste? Why not do the smart thing and setup an automatic backup system for your WordPress website?

What is Automatic WordPress Backup?

Automatic WordPress Backup is WordPress plugin that saves a copy of your entire WordPress database, all the files you’ve uploaded, the plugins you’ve installed, the themes you’ve added and your settings files (config.php & .htaccess) to the Amazon S3 servers. Amazon S3 is a enterprise-level storage system that allows people to store files at ultra cheap prices (around $0.15/GB.)

The beauty of Automatic WordPress Backup is that it is a “set-and-forget” system that will automatically save a backup either daily, weekly or monthly depending onĀ  which you choose.

How can you support AWB?

Friends don’t let friends allow their WordPress website to go on without a backup. The biggest thing you can do to support us is write about the plugin on your blog and provide us feedback on how we can improve the plugin.

{ 33 comments… read them below or add one }

Chris Ryland December 21, 2009 at 11:41 am

And how do you restore? There’s no documentation on that part…

Thanks for making this available!

Chris Ryland December 21, 2009 at 11:41 am

I should add: How do you restore without having the plug-in already installed?

Melvin Ram December 21, 2009 at 11:53 am

We’re going to add ability to restore in the near future as part of the plugin. I’ll also be making a video showing how to restore without the plugin but here is the gist of what you would do:

* Copy themes, plugins and uploads folders to the /wp-content/ folder
* Go into your phpMyAdmin and import the sql file
* Copy config.php & .htaccess file to the root of your blog or website
* Customize config.php to work for your new host & database

Kevin Gilbert January 29, 2010 at 10:46 am

Melvin, these instructions work almost flawlessly. I’d like to add clarification to a step and add one additional step that I’ve had to do each time I restore. Prior to copying config.php to the root of blog or website, a user should rename their existing config.php file to “old-config.php” so that it’s not overwritten when copying in the config.php from backup. Then, that file is also still accessible to get the DB name, password, etc. I’ve backed up and then restored on a brand new host and this was absolutely necessary. The last step I would add is to go into the WordPress Admin section, the Permalinks settings, and save the setting to force WordPress to update. Without doing that, I get a home page that loads and no working links. After saving the permalink settings, everything was back to normal.

Great work on an excellent plugin. We will have a glowing review up with a week or so.

Melvin Ram January 29, 2010 at 11:34 am

Great feedback Kevin. Thanks for that! I’ll make a page with complete restore instructions and I’ll add our steps & clarifications to it with a link to your website.

Kevin Gilbert January 29, 2010 at 12:04 pm

So, quick update. The last two restore tests I performed I did the database import last and I didn’t have to update permalinks. I’m not sure I can process the reasons behind this, but I know that I loaded the config.php file prior to importing the sql file each of the last two times and I didn’t have to update permalinks.

Chris Ryland December 21, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Sounds great.

Is this plugin zip’ing up the results to get decent compression when storing on S3?

Melvin Ram December 21, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Yep, the file saved to S3 is a zip.

Communibus Locis December 22, 2009 at 8:03 am

Melvin:

Why S3? Are you planning on options to allow FTP or SFTP sites? Do you get a cut of the S3 proceeds?

Communibus Locis

Melvin Ram December 22, 2009 at 8:57 am

Good question. We do NOT get any part of the S3 commissions. There is no way to track nor any way affiliate links on the website.

All our client websites are hosted on the Rackspace Cloud Sites platform. We decided to go with S3 because it is unlikely that both Rackspace Cloud and Amazon’s S3 will go down at the same time. It’s just a better safety net for us and our clients.

FTP will be added in the near future, but can’t give you an ETA.

Sallie Goetsch (rhymes with 'sketch') January 11, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I installed this on my test blog, signed up for Amazon S3, put in the requisite keys, and it seems to be working–except there’s no sign of my backups in the list of backups from which to restore. As far as I know, the server I’m on (Dreamhost, for that particular blog) is running PHP5.

This seems like a great plugin, and I’d like to write about it for the Backup Blog, but I want to be able to test the restore as well as the backup. I need to dig into Amazon’s documentation to see whether I can see anything from that end, but meanwhile, it would be great to hear from you.

Melvin Ram January 11, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Hi Sally, I’ll go get in touch via email to schedule a time where we can go through the setup process and figure out what’s wrong.

Midhun February 3, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I am using Godaddy hosting and I see the same issue. The backup says it has been kicked off and will see a list when they are done. I dont see them even after 2 hours and the Amazon s3 bucket (which is created from the settings page) is empty.

Fred February 18, 2010 at 8:49 am

Same thing here.
This plugin looked very promising but sadly is not doing what advertised :(

Robert C Dunn January 20, 2010 at 8:31 am

Hi

Most of my uploaded blog images are in an /images directory, not the upload folder. Any manual configuration of what files I can backup?

I like the amazon repository idea a lot.

thanks

bob

Melvin Ram January 20, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Right now, no. There isn’t a way to manually configure which files are uploaded.

Fred February 15, 2010 at 2:22 am

Ok, i installed th plugin, filled my AWS Access and Secret Key, selected the backup folder, saved changes and backup now. Well nothing happened.

What am i doing wrong?

Melvin Ram February 18, 2010 at 9:07 am

We’re going to be releasing an update soon-ish which really should fix a lot of the issues people are having. Right now about 80% of the people are being able to use it but people who have VPS servers and a few other cases are not able to use it. Be sure to subscribe to our RSS feed and you’ll get a notification as soon as it’s ready to go.

Fred February 18, 2010 at 11:40 am

Melvin thanks for your reply, i’ll be waiting for the updated plugin :D